Highway Assist System
The Highway Assist System (HAS) allows you to feel even more comfortable and safe while driving on highways or limited access freeways. Combining Adaptive Cruise Control with Lane Keeping Assist, is a level 2 driving assistance system.
Picking up information from both a radar sensor, located on the front grille behind the trident, and a forward-facing camera behind the rear-view mirror, HAS performs three crucial functions simultaneously:
- maintains the desired speed you previously selected
- maintains the chosen distance from the vehicle in front
- keeps the vehicle in the center of the lane by actively controlling the steering wheel
Even though HAS is a partially automated driving system, many factors can impact the performance of the Highway Assist System preventing it from functioning as intended. HAS is unable to guide the vehicle and assist the driver on certain roadways and when visibility is poor. This can happen when you’re driving up hills or sharp bends, when the forward-facing camera is obstructed or damaged, or when a bright light faces the camera.
You must always be aware of surrounding traffic and be extra-careful in bad weather, as heavy rain, snow or fog can drastically change the road conditions.
Hands detection on the steering wheel
Designed for a fully attentive driver, HAS is a hands-on feature: the sensors in the outer crown of the steering wheel are able to detect the presence of your hands. That’s why you must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times. Keep in mind that the sensors are not able to detect the presence of your hands if they are placed on areas that are covered in wood, plastic bezels or carbon inserts. The system will automatically disengage if your hands are removed from the steering wheel for a set amount of time.
Keep in mind
- HAS is designed to only function on highways or limited access freeways.
- HAS requires you to keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times.
- You must always be aware of surrounding traffic and road conditions.
- You must always be ready to immediately take control of your vehicle.
- Other factors can negatively impact the performance of HAS: narrow, winding or twisty roads; bright lights or shadows; construction zones; other equipment generating electromagnetic waves.
- HAS is intended to be used only by licensed and alert users and under the conditions specified in a vehicle’s Owner’s Manual.
- Read and understand a vehicle’s Owner’s Manual thoroughly before using the HAS system.
- It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely, and be in control of the vehicle at all times.
- To avoid serious injury or death, do not rely on the HAS system to prevent accidents or collisions as it is not designed to prevent loss of control or all accidents or collisions.
- Failure to follow these instructions and warnings can result in serious injury or death.
Discover the models which are equipped with this feature
You're Not Like Everyone Else
An Icon of Italian Elegance
© 2020 Maserati Canada, Inc. All rights reserved. Maserati and the Trident logo are registered trademarks of Maserati SpA.
Some images may show European models.